Monday, November 3, 2008

Center Pointe Small Groups Sign

About 4 weeks ago and I came home to a note attached to our door from the zoning commission in Blanchester. First of all, isn't Blanchester too small to have it's own zoning commission. The note was somebody apparently complained about our sign in our yard. They asked us to move it closer to the house and we complied and moved it about 5 feet closer to the house. Well then about a week ago my landlord and his newlyweded wife came down to fix a few things this week. They have been married since March and we had not seen them in a year and a half since we moved into our house. Well they started to fix our toilet which was leaking a little and Nick (our landlord) messed up the new seal he had bought and had to run out to get a new one. As he and his wife came back in she heard my Klove mix that I had playing from my laptop as I worked. So it started an afternoon conversation about our faith and we realized how much we had in common. It was a wonderful afternoon. Julie (his wife) also noticed our Small Group sign and commented on it and said how wonderful it was that we had it up and that they too attend a Small Group. Yeah! So we told them the story about us displaying our sign and the original request to take it down and they said "don't do it". So today I am sitting at the house working and my cell phone rings. It's the guy from the zoning commission again. He said we have to take down our sign! Supposedly because we are advertising for our church (by the way a non-profit organization) and I pollitely told him that there was absolutely no chance that I was taking it down. He said he understood how I felt and that there would be a zoning meeting that I could go to to dispute these claims. I told him disputed or not I am not taking down my sign. I live in America where I have the freedom to worship where and when I want to and I will be dead before that gets taken away from me. God has done too much in my life over the last few months for me to turn my back on Him and not to honor Him by leaving this sign. He has and always be my Ultimate Deliverer and why would He stop in this case!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That sucks about the sign. The only thing I'd worry about is getting the church in trouble legally. I'm not sure if that could happen over a sign though.

Missy M said...

I don't think that the Church would have anything to do with one of the members of the Church putting up a sign. I say don't take the sign down.

Lisa said...

I think you should leave it up then this just might make a good news story. Maybe you need to tell them you will call all the news stations and anyone else you can think of to fight for our right to worship when and where we want!

Missy M said...

I really like Lisa's comment. You should call Howard Aim or something.

Diana Smith said...

And then when we I mean you get on the news, you can announce The live Nativity.